How to Use Custom Fields
Inspect Point allows you to use up to 5 “custom fields” on an account or building. These can be used to store/track any information not available by default on an account or building profile. Customers have used custom fields for information such as affiliate companies or subcontractors, or any other data points they want to track related to a specific account or building.
Managing a Custom Field
Navigate to Settings → Company Settings → Custom Fields to manage your custom fields.
Click “New Custom Field” to add a custom field.
Note: There are a maximum of 5 custom fields. Once you have reached 5 fields, you must deactivate a field by clicking to edit it, then unchecking the “active” checkbox, in order to add a new field.
Setting Up Your Custom Fields
You can select to create a custom field in the English, Spanish or French language.
Then, enter the following:
- Name: This will appear as the field label.
- Description: This is optional, supplementary text that can be used as a description of what the field contains.
- Field Type: You can choose between date, number and text. If you choose date, on the account or building in which this field appears, you will be able to select a date for that field. If you choose number, you will be able to select a number. And if you choose text, you will be able to enter text into the field.
- Available For: Select if you would like to make this field available for accounts, or buildings.
- Active: When checked, this field will appear on an account/building.
Where do Custom Fields Appear?
If you have created a field for an “account,” it will appear as an editable field on the “Edit Account” page. Similarly, if you have created a field for a building, it will appear as an editable field on the “Edit Building” page.
The custom field (and your selection) will then appear in various outputs. Let’s walk through an example from start to finish:
- You add a new text-based custom field “Subcontractor Company” available for buildings.
- You navigate to a building, “Pine Street Warehouse.” On the “Edit Building,” in the text field adjacent to the label “Subcontractor Company,” you enter the name of the subcontractor company, “Smith Fire Protection.”
- You now see the label of that custom field (“Subcontractor Company”) and the text you input (“Smith Fire Protection”) in several places:
- On the Building Profile
- As a column in your Inspection export .csv file
Need help? Contact our Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a support ticket through the "Submit a request" link above