Step One: Download the QuickBooks Desktop Web Connector File from Inspect Point
Navigate to Settings -> Integrations -> QuickBooks Desktop.
In the first section on this page, you will find your username and password for the QuickBooks Web Connector application.
You can click “Download QWC File” to receive the file you will upload into QuickBooks Desktop. The upload process is covered later in this guide.
On this page, you will also see diagnostic information on this page that will help your IT team and/or our support team troubleshoot any issues that may arise. You do not need to take any action here; just note the location for future reference if needed.
|Key Actions to Complete Before Proceeding:
Step Two: Upload the QuickBooks Web Connector File into QuickBooks Desktop
In most cases, the QuickBooks Web Connector application will already be available within your QuickBooks Desktop account. Click File -> App Management -> and then Update Web Services.
If QuickBooks Web Connector application is already installed, this window will appear:
Note: If the QuickBooks Web Connector is not already installed, you will need to install it. Follow the steps outlined here on Intuit’s website to download and install the QuickBooks Web Connector file. The QuickBooks Web Connector is provided and supported by Intuit, and not Inspect Point, so please reach out to their support team if you encounter any issues during this process.
There are a few considerations to keep in mind before installing the QWC:
- The QWC file can only be installed by one user in admin/single user mode. Multiple people should not install the QWC file as this will result in errors.
- An active user session wherein QWC and QBD are both open is required for the integration to work. If only one person needs to be syncing invoices, they can simply log-in and open QWC and QBD when needed.
- If multiple people in the office will be syncing information, then the recommendation is to install both files on a server and leave an active user session running.
Once QuickBooks Web Connector is installed, click “Add Application” and select the QWC file you downloaded from Inspect Point.
It is not unusual for this process to take over 30 minutes. This is handled by QuickBooks Desktop, so unfortunately the timing is not something that Inspect Point can control. We recommend leaving the window open to load and returning once the process is complete.
Note: You may see the following error message, but it will not impact the integration. Just press “Yes” and continue.
You may see several additional prompts depending on your QuickBooks Desktop version, settings, etc. If you see this, press “OK” to continue:
You will also need to agree to allow QuickBooks Web Connector to read and modify your company file. Select the last radio button, "Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running." (Note, in some cases you may need to answer a “Login as” field; it is recommended to select “Admin.”) You will also need to check the checkbox, “Allow this application to access personal data such as social security numbers and customer credit card information.”
When that is complete, this window should display. If it does not, simply click File -> App Management -> Update Web Services. You should see this:
In the password field, enter the password from the Inspect Point Settings page. Then, check off the checkbox on the left side of the row, and click "Update Selected."
At this point, Inspect Point and QuickBooks Desktop are ready to be connected. There are a few considerations:
- QWC is set to auto-update every two minutes. This means that every two minutes, it will look to see if there is an Inspect Point invoice waiting to sync to QBD, or if there is a request within Inspect Point for customers or items.
- If you have a large amount of customers or items in QuickBooks Desktop, we recommend increasing this number. This is because it may time out if it restarts every two minutes. If you have a few hundred customers, we recommend a 5-minute interval. If you have thousands of customers, a 10-minute interval is ideal. Close to 10,000 or more customer should be set at a 15-minute interval.
- These longer intervals means that it can take longer for your invoices to appear back in QuickBooks Desktop. But, if you do not want to wait that amount of time, you can always open QWC, check off the Inspect Point application, and click “Update Selected.” That will bring in all pending invoices into BD.
IMPORTANT: In order to import from QuickBooks Desktop into Inspect Point and to sync invoices to QuickBooks Desktop, both the QuickBooks Desktop application AND QuickBooks Web Connector needs to be open. You can minimize the Web Connector application, but do not “x” it out or your information will not be able to sync.